Conveniently located to serve Fort Myers, Naples, Bonita Springs, and Estero
We are a full-service dermatology practice in that we offer medical dermatology, surgical dermatology, and cosmetic dermatology.
The more common skin conditions we diagnose (but not limited to) are:
- Skin Cancer Surgery – This procedure includes removing the skin cancer and checking if it has been completely removed using the Mohs frozen section technique.
- Actinic Keratosis (Pre-cancers) – This skin problem is marked by red bumps with scale-like textures.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma – This condition is signified by bleeding and non-healing lesions and is diagnosed with a biopsy.
- Dysplastic Moles (Nevi) – These moles can be identified by their color variation, irregular borders, and asymmetrical shapes.
- Eczema – Eczema shows up as patches of red skin and can be relieved by avoiding allergic triggers and applying topical anti-inflammatory creams.
- Seborrheic Keratosis (Barnacles) – This skin condition is marked by warty, brown growths. While they do not always require treatment, irritated lesions can be easily treated.
- Acne – Acne is caused by bacteria growth in a clogged pore, leading to an infection, resulting in redness, swelling, and pus buildup.
- Alopecia (Hair loss) – This autoimmune disorder can be treated using various options, such as corticosteroid injections and medications like Minoxidil and Anthralin.
- Bullous Pemphigoid (Blistering condition) – Available treatment options for this problem include corticosteroid ointments and creams to heal the skin, reduce itchiness, and treat blisters.
- Cherry Angiomas (Blood spots) – If you are unhappy with their appearance or their frequent bleeding, cherry angiomas can be removed by freezing or burning.
- Cysts – These bumps can be treated by draining, conducting a minor removal surgery, or using a laser.
- Fungal infections (“Tinea” of the nails, feet, body, etc.) – These are treated based on their type. The most common options are antifungal creams and medications.
- Mole removal – Mole removal may be performed for cosmetic or health reasons. Common removal techniques include shave excision and surgical excision.
- Molluscum contagiosum – You might need to address this skin issue if the lesions appear on your neck and face. The condition can be treated using laser therapy, topical treatment, and cryotherapy.
- Psoriasis – This skin condition can be treated using steroid ointments or creams to reduce inflammation, moisturizers, or medications to reduce skin-cell production.
- Rosacea – This skin problem is marked by red or flushed skin and small bumps with pus inside. Typical treatments range from medications to dermabrasion to laser therapy.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis (Dandruff) – People seek treatment for this condition to reduce symptoms such as redness, itching, and visible white flakes. Treatment usually involves over-the-counter and prescription medications such as corticosteroids and topical antifungals.
- Skin Infections – These can range from viral to bacterial to fungal to parasitic. Treatments depend on the cause of the infection, such as antibiotics for bacterial infections and antifungal creams for fungal infections.
- Skin Tags (Acrochordons) – Skin tags may be removed using over-the-counter products or techniques such as cryosurgery, cauterization, ligation, electrocautery, and surgical removal.
- Tinea versicolor (yeast) – This fungal infection is signified by white, red, or brown spots that are dry and scaly. It can be treated using over-the-counter and prescription antifungal medications.
- Warts (Verruca vulgaris) – We can remove these growths by freezing them or using salicylic acid.
What is medical dermatology?
Medical dermatology focuses on treating conditions and diseases that affect the skin, hair, and nails. Some of the most common issues treated are acne, skin cancer, fungal infections, and eczema.
Do I need professional acne care?
Many people struggle with preventing and managing acne breakouts on their own. Professional acne care is a good option for people with mild to moderate acne who want to improve the health & appearance of their skin and for those with severe acne who need help preventing damage to their skin.
What is Mohs surgery?
Mosh surgery is a skin cancer removal procedure that is both safe and incredibly effective. At Houck Dermatology, we use the Mohs frozen section technique which has a high cure rate.
Do I need to have my moles removed?
In some cases, mole removal procedures are performed for cosmetic purposes. However, there are many cases where mole removal is performed for medical purposes as the mole may be cancerous. It is recommended that you any new moles evaluated and that you make note of any changes to existing moles.
How much does medical dermatology cost?
The cost of your care at Houck Dermatology in Estero, FL will vary depending on the type of treatment being performed and the extent of the care required to properly treat the issue. Our team will go over cost and payment options during your appointment.
Arrange a Consultation Today
Find out more about the medical dermatology services we offer to patients in Bonita Springs, Estero, Fort Myers, and Naples—contact Houck Dermatology today. We will be available to answer any questions you may have, and provide you with the personalized care you need.